Our Preview To The 2022 Cheltenham Festival
We are now just nine weeks away from the start of the Cheltenham Festival 2022, one of the biggest and most eagerly anticipated horse racing meets of the year.
Each year the festival attracts hundreds of thousands of horse racing fans who enjoy four high-quality days of jumps racing, featuring many of the best horses from all over the world, with a particularly strong showing from Ireland each year.
BONUS CODE: BET247
Get up to €100 in Bet Credits for new customers at bet365 Bet365 Review
The festival has become one of the biggest events of the UK sporting calendar each year and this year won’t be any different and to get you in the mood for the racing feast to come, bet365 Sport is already offering its Best Odds Guarantee and Non-Runner No Bet offers on the five biggest races of the week.
Bet365 Cheltenham Offers Available Now!
You can claim the Best Odds Guaranteed on selected races for the 2022 Cheltenham Festival right now and that means if the SP you take when placing your bet is lower than the price bet365 offers at the start of the race, you will be paid out at the longer odds.
In addition, if you place a Win or Each Way bet on any of the five big races at the Cheltenham Festival (the Champion Hurdle, Champion Chase, Stayers’ Hurdle, Ryanair Chase and Cheltenham Gold Cup) and your horse is a non-runner in the race, then you will receive your bet back as a refund thanks to the site’s Non-Runner No Bet offer.
General Offer Terms & Conditions
- Best Odds Guaranteed and Non-Runner No Bet will apply to all Ante-Post bets placed on the Champion Hurdle, Champion Chase, Stayers’ Hurdle, Ryanair Chase and Cheltenham Gold Cup from 12.00 UK Time on 3rd January 2022.
- These offers are only available to new and eligible customers. You can see a full list of your available offers by logging in and selecting the Offers section on mobile or the Promotions section on desktop. Bet365 maintains a record of customer contact in relation to eligibility for offers and this record, including the date and time of any restrictions being imposed, will be final in the event of any dispute.
- Offer applies to bets placed on Win and Each Way Fixed Odds markets only.
- This offer includes all races where we offer Win and Each Way betting.
- Where no industry SP is declared, if the bet365 price at the race off is greater than the price already taken, your bet will be settled at the higher price.
- Adjusted place terms (Each Way Extra), Enhanced Place Terms, Ante-Post bets (unless otherwise stated) and Tote/Pari-Mutuel/Colossus (bets and dividends) are excluded from this offer. All racing in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Singapore, and Hong Kong is excluded.
- Adjusted place terms (Each Way Extra) markets refers to prices which do not match the Win and Each Way market displayed in the Fixed Odds tab on the racecard, either because the price has been taken from the Each Way Extra tab or the place terms for the bet have been adjusted via the bet slip. Bets placed at such terms will not count for this offer.
- Where any term of the offer or promotion is breached or there is any evidence of a series of bets place by a customer or group of customers, which due to enhanced payments, Free Bets, risk free bets, Bet Credits or any other promotional offer results in guaranteed customer profits irrespective of the outcome, whether individually or part of a group, bet365 may reclaim the enhanced payment, Free Bet, risk free bet or Bet Credit element of such offers and/or void any bet funded by the Free Bet or Bet Credits. In addition, where there is evidence of such activity, bet365 may levy an administration charge on the customer up to the value of the Bet Credits, Free Bet, risk free bet or enhanced payment towards the administrative costs incurred in identifying and taking action against the activity.
- Bet365 may reclaim any bonus amount, Free Bets, Bet Credits or enhanced payments that have been awarded in error.
- Bet365 may, at any time, make minor amendments to this promotion to correct typographical errors or to improve on clarity or customer experience and may cancel this promotion for legal or regulatory reasons.
- Employees, officers and directors of bet365, its promotional or other agencies, licensees and licensors, service providers and any other associated or affiliated companies shall not be eligible for the promotion. The same shall apply to the direct families of such persons.
Cheltenham Festival 2022 – Big Race Preview & News
Every race at the Cheltenham Festival is a big race, but there are five races which always attract the best of the best at the festival every year.
We are now going to take a quick look at the five big races of the festival and give you some of the latest news and betting odds available for the offer outlined above.
Now remember, the fields for these races will not be confirmed until much nearer the time, so the runners listed are still not confirmed, however you will likely find that you get better odds in the ante-post markets on those that do run than you will on the day.
And even if you don’t, the Best Odds Guaranteed offer means you will get paid out at the higher price anyway and the Non-Runner No Bet offer means that if your selection does not run, then you’ll get your stake money back too.
Here’s our quick preview of each of the five races.
Champion Hurdle – Tuesday 15th March – 3.05pm
- Distance – 2 miles and–half a furlong
- First Run – 1927
- Qualification – Four-years-old and up.
- Most Successful Horses – Hattons Grace (1949, 1950, 1951), Sir Ken (1952, 1953, 1954), Persian War (1968, 1969, 1970), See You Then (1985, 1986, 1987), Istabraq (1998, 1999, 2000) – 3 wins each
- Recent Winners (2011-2020) – Epatante (2020), Espoir d’Allen (2019), Buveur d’Air (2016 & 2017), Annie Power (2016), Faugheen (2015), Jezki (2014), Hurricane Fly (2013 & 2011), Rock On Ruby (2012)
- Most Successful Trainer – Nicky Henderson (8 wins)
- Most Successful Owner – J.P.McManus (9 wins)
- Winner of 2021 Race – Honeysuckle – Ridden by Rachael Blackmore trained by Henry de Bromhead
Last year’s winner Honeysuckle is the 4/6 favourite to land back to back Champion Hurdle victories, with Appreciate It at 5/1 and Sharjah at 6/1 rated to be the closest challengers. The 2020 winner Epatante is a 9/1 chance with Zanahiyr and Stormy Ireland both 10/1 options.
Champion Chase – Wednesday 16th March – 3.05pm
- Distance – 1 mile 7 furlongs
- First Run – 1959
- Qualification – Five-years-old and up
- Most Successful Horses – Badsworth Boy (1983, 1984, 1985) – 3 wins
- Recent Winners (2011-2020) – Politologue (2020), Altior (2018, 2019), Special Tiara (2017), Sprinter Sacre (2013, 2016), Dodging Bullets (2015), Sire de Grugy (2014), Finian’s Rainbow (2012), Sizing Europe (2011)
- Most Successful Trainer – Tom Dreaper, Nicky Henderson, Paul Nicholls (all 6 wins)
- Most Successful Owner – George Ansley, Doug Armitage, John Hales (all 3 wins)
- Winner of 2021 Race – Put The Kettle On – Ridden by Aidan Coleman trained by Henry de Bromhead
Shishkin has been a long-time favourite to land the win in the Champion Chase this year and the horse is 4/5 to win the race ahead of Energumene at 15/8. Allaho is a 5/1 chance but both could run in the Ryanair Chase instead, while Chacun Pour Soi is a 7/1 chance.
Other horses well backed for the race include Envoi Allen at 8/1, Greaneteen at 9/1 and Nube Negra also at 9/1. Last year’s winner Put The Kettle On is a 16/1 chance alongside the 2020 winner Politologue.
Ryanair Chase – Thursday 17th March – 2.30pm
- Distance – 2 miles 4 furlongs
- First Run – 2005
- Qualification – Five-years-old and up
- Most Successful Horses – Albertas Run (2010,2011) – 2 Wins
- Recent Winners (2010-2020) – Min (2020), Frodon (2019), Balko des Flos (2018), Un de Sceaux (2017), Vautour (2016), Uxizandre (2015), Dynaste (2014), Cue Card (2013), Riverside Theatre (2012), Albertas Run (2010 & 2011)
- Most Successful Trainer – Willie Mullins (4 wins)
- Most Successful Jockey – Ruby Walsh (4 wins)
- Winner of 2021 Race – Allaho – Ridden by Rachael Blackmore trained by Willie Mullins.
Will Allaho go in this race or the Gold Cup? He has entries into both and the feeling is he may get another shot at the Ryanair this year and the horse is the 7/4 favourite to repeat its victory of last year.
Other good value options include Energumene at 4/1, plus four horses at 8/1 including A Plus Tard. Tornado Flyer, Asterion Forlonge (all Gold Cup possibles) and Fakir D’oudaries.
Stayers Hurdle – Thursday 17th March – 3.05pm
- Distance – 2 Miles 7 furlongs, 213 yards
- First Run – 1912 to 1953, but renewed in 1972.
- Qualification – Four-years-old and up
- Most Successful Horses – Big Buck’s (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012) – 4 wins
- Recent Winners (2009-2020) – Lisnager Oscar (2020), Paisley Park (2019), Penhill (2018), Nichol’s Canyon (2017), Thistlecrack (2016), Cole Harden (2015), More of That (2014), Solwhit (2013), Big Bucks (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- Most Successful Trainer – Paul Nicholls (4 wins)
- Most Successful Owner – The Stewart Family, Andrea & Graham Wylie (4 wins)
- Winner of 2021 Race – Flooring Porter – Ridden by Danny Mullins trained by Gavin Cromwell.
The early betting for the 2022 race sees Klassical Dream the 2/1 favourite in the Ante Post markets with bet365. Champ is 7/2, with Thyme Hill and Flooring Porter, last year’s winner, a 5/1 chance.
They seem tp be the four most fancied horses in the race with odds drifting quickly to 10/1 for Vanillier, 12/1 for Zanahiyr and then 16/1 for Sire Du Berlais, Paisley Park, Thomas Darby, Bear Ghylls, Burning Victory, Song For Someone and Adagio.
Cheltenham Gold Cup – Friday 18th March – 3.05pm
- Distance – 3 miles 2 furlongs and 70 yards
- First Run – 1924
- Qualification – Five-years-old and up
- Most Successful Horses – Golden Miller (1932, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936) – 5 wins
- Recent Winners (2010-2020) – Al Boum Photo (2019, 2020), Native River (2018), Sizing John (2017), Don Cossack (2016), Coneygree (2015), Lord Windermere (2014), Bobs Worth (2013), Synchronised (2012), Long Run (2011), Imperial Commander (2010)
- Most Successful Trainer – Tom Dreaper – 5 wins
- Most Successful Owner – Dorothy Paget – 7 wins
- Winner of 2021 Race – Minella Indo – Ridden by Jack Kennedy, trained by Henry De Bromhead
There have been 30 confirmed entries for this year’s Cheltenham Gold Cup, which includes the last two winners of the race, Al Boum Photo and Minella Indo, plus a number of in form horses such as Allaho, Protektorat, Galvin and A Plus Tard.
The latter is the 3/1 ante post favourite with bet365 ahead of Galvin at 4/1, with Minella Indo at 7/1 and Al Boum Photo at 8/1. Protektorat and Tornado Flyer are both 10/1.
- Each Way Bets
For all five of the races, ante post each way bets placed will pay out at 1/5 of the stated odds on the top three finishers in each race.
Remember all odds shown with bet365 were correct at the time of writing but may change in the meantime.
Check back to this page over the coming weeks as we will likely update it with more news and information as the runners and riders take shape for arguably the biggest horse racing meet of the year.