Champions League Matchday 2 Preview And Top Tips
After a somewhat dramatic weekend of football in the Premier League, which saw three of the four of the top five teams in the table unable to land a victory, we now turn our attentions this week to the Champions League, with matches starting tonight across Europe.
It is the second matchday in this competition and it is an important one for many of the big teams with the likes of Manchester United, Inter Milan and Barcelona looking to bounce back after opening day defeats.
Other teams, such as Real Madrid, Liverpool, Manchester City, Paris St Germain, Chelsea and Juventus are all looking to add a second win to the one collected on Matchday 1 to put themselves in a very strong position in their respective groups.
As always, there’s going to be plenty of betting action on the games tonight and Wednesday so if you fancy a bet and would like to have a wide choice of betting markets available to you both pre-game and also In Play, then check out what Bet365 Sport has to offer.
BONUS CODE: BET247 Get up to €100 in Bet Credits for new customers at bet365 Bet365 Review
And if you are based in the United States and would like to join in the betting action on European Football’s top competition, then check out the markets and odds on offer at BetRivers Sportsbook, which is available across numerous states that offer sports betting.
Champions League Fixtures – Matchday 2
Tuesday 28th September
- Ajax Amsterdam v Besiktas (5.45pm)
- Shakhtar Donetsk v Inter Milan (5.45pm)
- AC Milan v Atletico Madrid
- Borussia Dortmund v Sporting Lisbon
- FC Porto v Liverpool
- Paris St Germain v Manchester City
- Red Bull Leipzig v Club Brugge
- Real Madrid v Sheriff Tiraspol
Wednesday 29th September
- Atalanta v Young Boys (5.45pm)
- Zenit St Petersburg v Malmo (5.45pm)
- Bayern Munich v Dynamo Kyiv
- Benfica v Barcelona
- FC Salzburg v Lille
- Juventus v Chelsea
- Manchester United v Villarreal
- Wolfsburg v Sevilla
*All games kick off at 8pm unless otherwise stated. All odds shown were correct with bet365 Sport as of 10am on Tuesday 27th September 2021.
For this set of tips, we are going to approach them in a slightly different way, looking at the matches we feel will be home wins, the ones we think will be away wins and the ones we think will be draws. We will then look at some other popular betting markets, such as Anytime Goalscorer and Correct Score and give you some tips for each of these markets too.
Champions League Matchday 2 – Home Win Tips
- Ajax v Besiktas – 1/7
- Borussia Dortmund v Sporting Lisbon – 4/11
- Red Bull Leipzig v Club Brugge – 2/5
- Real Madrid v Sheriff Tiraspol – 1/10
- Atalanta v Young Boys – 9/20
- Zenit St Petersburg v Malmo FF – 11/20
- Bayern Munich v Dynamo Kyiv – 1/10
- Benfica v Barcelona – 19/10
- Manchester United v Villarreal – 9/20
Most of the selections for the home win bets here are relatively self-explanatory. The first seven selections above should all be comfortable home wins for the hosts but it is the last two matches that are probably the more borderline selections.
Benfica to beat Barcelona is a big call, as you can see by the odds on that selection. However, the Portuguese side are unbeaten domestically, winning all their games, while Barcelona have been struggling for any sort of form under Ronald Koeman this season and have been struggling. A tough away game against a true European giant is probably the last thing they need.
Similarly, Manchester United come into this game against the draw specialists Villarreal who have not just drawn all five of their games against United (winning the Europa League Final last year on penalties after a 1-1 draw) but also drawing the majority of their games domestically too, including a 0-0 draw with Real Madrid at the weekend.
In both those cases, I almost did put them in the draw section but with Man Utd badly needing to win after losing to Young Boys on Matchday 1 and Barcelona’s form so poor and Benfica’s home form perfect so far this season, I eventually put them in the home win section.
Champions League Matchday 2 – Away Win Tips
- Shakhtar Donetsk v Inter Milan – 1/2
- AC Milan v Atletico Madrid – 17/10
- FC Porto v Liverpool – 8/11
- Wolfsburg v Sevilla – 6/4
Usually, it’s pretty tough for an away team to land a win in the Champions League, which is why I have only backed four of them to do so this week.
Inter need a win after losing their opening game at home to Real Madrid, while I think Sevilla are going to be too experienced and too strong for a talented but limited Wolfsburg side. Liverpool have started the season well and have beaten FC Porto 5-0 and 4-1 on the road in their last two encounters in Portugal so look a solid bet there too.
Atletico Madrid to beat Milan is the interesting one here as Atletico have been fallible at times this season, but I think they have what it takes to perform well defensively and perhaps steal a goal on the break to snatch what would be a huge win in terms of their chances in this difficult group which also features Liverpool and FC Porto.
Champions League Matchday 2 – Draw Tips
- Paris St Germain v Manchester City – 13/5
- FC Salzburg v Lille – 13/5
- Juventus v Chelsea – 5/2
There were a fair few draws on the opening day of Champions League action, but I think that there won’t be quite so many this time around.
I do feel that two of the biggest games on the nights will end all square though. PSG v Man City being one and Juventus v Chelsea being the other.
Man City beat PSG home and away last season in the semifinals of this competition and they go into this game in great form. However, PSG have strengthened in the summer and I think that has been with this competition in mind and with Lionel Messi set to be fit, I think that the French side will have enough to get a draw here.
Similarly, Juventus started the season slowly but have won their last two games and they face a Chelsea side who suffered their first defeat of the season last weekend at home to Man City and I think that a draw may well suit both teams here in terms of the group.
Lastly, in what is a very even group, I think Salzburg and Lille will also play out a hard fought draw in Austria in what is likely to be a group that goes down to the wire to decide who qualifies.
Matchday 2 – Accumulator Tip
If I was going to put together an accumulator tip for the Champions League this week, then these are the selections I would make based on the predictions above:
- Atletico Madrid to beat AC Milan – 17/10
- Liverpool to beat FC Porto – 8/11
- PSG and Manchester City to draw – 13/5
- Benfica to beat Barcelona – 19/10
- Juventus and Chelsea to draw – 5/2
- Sevilla to beat Wolfsburg – 6/4
This sixfold accumulator offers generous odds of 425.02/1 with bet365 Sport.
Matchday 2 – Anytime Goalscorer Tips
Backing some of the finest talent in world football to score a goal in their Champions League clash this week is always a popular bet and here are some of the big names and their odds that I feel are worth backing in this market:
- Sebastian Haller (Ajax) – 8/13
- Luis Suarez (Atletico Madrid) – 15/8
- Duvan Zapata (Atlanta) – 8/13
- Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich) – 2/7
- Darwin Nunez (Benfica) – 6/4
- Erling Haaland (Borussia Dortmund) – 8/15
- Sadio Mane (Liverpool) – 8/5
- Jonathan David (Lille) – 7/4
- Jorginho (Chelsea) – 9/2
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd) – 8/13
- Lionel Messi (Paris St Germain) – 5/4
- Christopher Nkunku (Red Bull Leipzig) – 6/4
- Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) – 1/2
- Edin Dzeko (Inter) – 5/4
- Youssef En-Nesyri (Sevilla) – 6/4
- Artem Dzyuba (Zenit) – Evens
Matchday 2 – Correct Score Tips
Predicting the Correct Score is always a tough task, so I’ve only gone for selected games here and the odds on these scorelines being correct is shown next to each prediction.
- AC Milan 0-1 Atletico Madrid (13/2)
- Benfica 1-0 Barcelona (10/1)
- FC Porto 1-3 Liverpool (12/1)
- Juventus 1-1 Chelsea (11/2)
- Paris St Germain 2-2 Manchester City (11/1)
- Wolfsburg 1-2 Sevilla (9/1)
Good luck if you are going to enjoy a bet on tonight and tomorrow night’s Champions League action, it should be one exciting week of games.