Ronaldo Returns To The Premier League This Coming Weekend!
There’s no doubt that the biggest movers in the transfer window this summer were Manchester United. After signing Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund and then Raphael Varane from Real Madrid, the Red Devils then shocked many by re-signing Cristiano Ronaldo from Juventus, allowing Daniel James to leave for Leeds to make space for the Portuguese legend in the squad.
This weekend should see the Portuguese legend make his second debut for Manchester United just over 12 years after he left the club to join Real Madrid. Newcastle United are the unfortunate visitors to Old Trafford this coming weekend with Steve Bruce’s men probably not looking forward to facing one of the best players in history.
Ronaldo’s return has created a massive buzz around the game on Saturday afternoon and there are going to be plenty of punters looking for a good value bet on the game, and perhaps one that involves Ronaldo too.
So with that in mind we have decided to preview the game in a bit more detail, look at Ronaldo’s amazing career stats and of course pick out some great value markets with bet365 Sport (if you are based in the UK) or BetRivers Sportsbook is a great alternative if you are based in the United States.
BONUS CODE: BET247 Get up to €100 in Bet Credits for new customers at bet365 Bet365 Review
First of all, let’s see the full list of games taking place in the Premier League this weekend on what will be matchday four of the new season.
Premier League Matchday 4 Fixtures (11th – 13th September)
- Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur
- Arsenal v Norwich City
- Brentford v Brighton
- Leicester City v Manchester City
- Manchester United v Newcastle United
- Southampton v West Ham United
- Watford v Wolverhampton Wanderers
- Chelsea v Aston Villa
- Leeds United v Liverpool (Sun)
- Everton v Burnley (Mon)
In terms of the table, Tottenham are the only team to have registered three wins from three games and they are top with five teams behind them on seven points, West Ham, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United and Everton.
At the foot of the table, Arsenal, Norwich City and Wolves are yet to pick up any points this season and just outside of those in the bottom three are Burnley and Newcastle United who have both picked up just a single point.
Newcastle will be coming up against Paul Pogba, who has five assists in the Premier League this season, two more than any other player, while United have two players in the top goalscorer list in second place, Bruno Fernandes and Mason Greenwood who have netted three goals apiece so far in the campaign.
Manchester United v Newcastle – Ronaldo Returns To Old Trafford
There is no doubt that the game on Saturday has been given added spice by the fact Cristiano Ronaldo will almost certainly make his debut for his second spell at United in the game.
The Portuguese legend has already been in the news after breaking the record for international goals, after his late double against the Republic of Ireland gave Portugal the victory and took him two goals clear of the previous record holder, Iran’s Ali Daei, who had 109 goals, whereas Ronaldo now is on 111, from 180 caps for Portugal.
However a booking picked up in that game meant he was suspended for Portugal’s next game and as such, he was allowed to leave to join up with his new team earlier than expected.
With Marcus Rashford injured, Daniel James sold to Leeds and Jadon Sancho picking up an injury on England duty, it seems likely that Ronaldo will get a chance to start the game against Newcastle in what should be an emotional day at Old Trafford.
So just what kind of player have Manchester United re-acquired after his time away in Spain and Italy? Let’s take a look at the stats of his career to show just what a talent Ronaldo is.
Cristiano Ronaldo Career Stats
- Age – 36
- Club Games – 897
- Club Goals – 674
- International Caps – 180
- International Goals – 111 (a record)
- Total – 1077 Games and 785 goals scored.
Club History & Personal Accolades
- 2002-2003 – Sporting Lisbon – 33 Games – 5 Goals
- 2003-2009 – Manchester United – 292 Games – 118 Goals
- 2009-2018 – Real Madrid – 438 Games – 450 Goals
- 2018-2021 – Juventus – 134 Games – 101 Goals
- 2021 – ? – Manchester United
- 31 Major Honours in Club Football, 5 Ballon D’Or wins, (6 runner’s up awards).
- Since the age of 30, he has played 356 matches, scoring 320 goals.
- Only Manchester United player to score 30+ goals in a Premier League season.
- Last goal for Manchester United was on 10th May 2009 (V Manchester City).
- One of only four Manchester United players to win the Ballon D’or while at the club alongside club legends Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and George Best.
- Real Madrid’s highest ever goalscorer. 7th highest Premier League scorer for Manchester United.
- If he scored 16 goals in the EPL for Manchester United, he will be the first player to ever score 100 goals or more in the Premier League and La Liga.
- European Championship winner, Nations League winner with Portugal.
- Has an airport named after him in his home of Madeira, complete with a statue as a tribute (above).
Manchester United v Newcastle Teams And Tips
Provided Ole Gunnar Solskjaer doesn’t see any further injuries to his players from international duty this week, I’d expect Ronaldo to slot into the team in the centre forward role, with Mason Greenwood perhaps moving to a wider role in place of the injured Jadon Sancho.
Other than that, I think it will be pretty much a familiar United team that line up to face Newcastle United on Saturday afternoon.
- Manchester United Team (Predicted) – 4-2-3-1 – De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, Maguire, Varane, Fred, Pogba, Fernandes, Greenwood, Ronaldo, Lingaard.
Newcastle have picked up just one point this season and playing United away from home with Cristiano Ronaldo has probably given manager Steve Bruce a few nightmares this week. The pressure is on Bruce to start picking up results but that looks unlikely here.
With finances seemingly limited at the club as the ownership issues rumble on with no sign of a conclusion, Bruce faces an unenviable task in getting something from this game and I think his team is going to struggle.
- Newcastle United Team (Predicted) – 5-3-2 – Woodman, Manquillo, Lewis, Fernandes, Lascalles, Schar, Longstaff.S, Almiron, Willock, Saint-Maximin, Wilson.
So what are our tips for this game? Well, I think Manchester United are going to run out comfortable winners and I think Cristiano Ronaldo will very likely find the back of the net on his second debut for the team. As such, my bets would be as follows:
- Manchester United to win 3-0 – 15/2
- Cristiano Ronaldo to score first and Man Utd to win 3-0 – 14/1
- Half Time/Full Time – Man Utd / Man Utd – 8/11.
*All odds shown are correct with bet365 Sport as of Tuesday 7th September 2021.