What Do I Need to Know to Enjoy Esports Betting to the Max?
Esports betting and Virtual Sports betting have very much come to the fore in recent weeks for punters searching for something to bet on and while Virtual Sports are relatively easy to understand and follow, it can be quite daunting for a punter that has never made a bet on esports, and perhaps doesn’t understand a great deal about esports in general, for them to suddenly decide to start placing bets on these markets.
So with that in mind, we have decided to give punters a little heads up about the esports industry, including taking a look at some of the most popular types of esports games you will find available to bet on at sites like bet365 Sport. In addition, we will explain more about how esports came into being and how the burgeoning betting industry grew alongside it over the last decade or so.
For our American cousins, it is worth noting too that esports betting is very much coming to the fore in those states which have legalised sports betting in recent times. As such, if you are based in Pennsylvania and want to sign up at a site using the latest playsugarhouse promo code, then you are going to be well placed when esports betting is made available in your state (if it is not already).
So let’s begin at the simplest point by taking a look at what esports actually are and also looking at some of the most popular esports you can bet on.
What are esports?
Esports are computer games that can be played either over a local area network or online across the internet. They are played either by individuals against each other, or by small groups of players in teams against other teams.
The key factor for esports to become a game which you can bet on is the fact that it is a game which is popularly played by many players across the globe, often numbering in their millions. The popularity of these games draws in sponsorship from big business and means that prize money tournaments are held, which attract the best teams and players and of course, fans want to watch them play either in person or online via a live stream.
Not all computer games become popular esports but over time new games can emerge and develop into esports games, replacing older and less popular titles over time.
What are the most popular esports I will find to bet on?
There are a relatively small number of very popular esports titles and it is these games that will be the ones that you are most likely to find betting markets for with reputable providers like bet365 Sport. Games can be grouped together into certain types of game.
- First Person Shooters – which includes games like Counter Strike: Global Offensive (CSGO), Overwatch, Call of Duty and Rainbow Six Siege. These games tend to see teams battle it out against each other for dominance in different game modes.
- Multiplayer Shooters – these games often have many individual players battling against each other to be the ‘last man standing’. This includes games like Player Unknown Battle Grounds (PUBG) and Fortnite.
- Multiplayer Online Battle Arena – These games see teams of players compete against each other in an arena to earn victory. These games are very popular and include two of the biggest esports games available today in League of Legends (LoL) and Defense of the Ancients 2 (Dota 2) both of which are based on a fantasy/magical theme.
- Sports Games – This includes games such as FIFA 20 (Football), Madden 20 (American Football), NBA 20 (Basketball) as well as race game sims, such as the recent F1 Esports series. It can also include fantasy sports games, such as Rocket League.
- Card Games – Rarer to find are esports games based on card games including Hearthstone and Pokemon.
- Fighting Games – These are one v one fighting games where players take on each other in combat. Popular games in this genre include Mortal Kombat and StreetFighter.
- Space Games – These are games set in space which can have different objectives to decide the winner. StarCraft 2 is a good example of this type of game.
Of the games listed above the likes of Dota 2, League of Legends, CSGO and Overwatch are the most popular esports you will find to bet on, with other esports events listed when there is a top tournament running for each game.
Is the esports industry regulated to ensure fair competition and play?
Yes, the esports industry has massively increased the regulations in place over the years to ensure that all matches that you can bet on at the highest levels of the esports industry are likely to be fair and even contests.
The reason for this is to ensure fair gaming, but also the amount of money that is being made at the top levels of esports is so great, that some safeguards have to be in place to ensure that the money is being won fairly.
The amount of money available to players now means that even a financial incentive to cheat is nowhere near as much as the money they could win by playing fairly and being a prominent esports professional over many years. As such, there is a massive disincentive for players on teams to do anything less than their best regardless of their overall situation in the game.
With drugs testing now in place for top esports players around the world, as well as stringent rules and regulations for competitive play, esports is now as well regulated as any standard professional sports industry.
What type of bets can I usually find on esports markets?
As each esport is different to the next, the types of bets you can find on esports markets are dependent on what the aims of each esport game is. So for example, in a game where one team is pitted against another in CSGO for example, you may find a bet on which team would win the match, or on which team would be the first to reach a stated number of kills in their game.
For a game like Dota 2 or League of Legends, which is a different type of game, you may find the bets here are based on in game events occurring, such as betting on which team will be the first to slay a dragon in the game.
You will find however that if an esports event is being streamed at sites like bet365, then you can enjoy some In Play betting on esports as they occur on screen, which is a great addition for fans of this particular type of bet.
The good news is that you can be as successful (or not!) in esports betting as you can in traditional sports betting, although if your knowledge about the industry is not that great, then it is a good idea to do a little research beforehand.
Esports betting is a great choice to bet on at any time of the year. It is a young industry, but one that is expanding rapidly especially with younger members of society aged between 18 and 35. It offers an extensive range of bets to punters and has many advantages over typical sports betting.